Thursday, November 08, 2007

My first commission!

So, a rather nice lady who works at the hospital with me approached me the other day about doing a commissioned project for her. She was so cute about it too; she said she wanted to hire me to make something for her. She had tried knitting something for herself in the past, but it didn't turn out. What she wants is essentially a scarf with a hood on it.

I'm thinking a little bit about possibly designing my own, but I did find a free pattern for something similar to what she wanted. It's the Hooded Scarf from Knit Picks. I'll run it by her to see if that's the sort of thing she wants, and if so, I'll look over the pattern and decide if I want to make any design modifications. She's quite particular about the type of yarn, so it's likely that the gauge is going to be off anyway.

In other knit news, I've turned the heel on one of those blue socks and will be looking to finish it really soon. The crochet blanket is growing still, and I've realized that crochet really does work up faster than knitting.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hey, awesome! Congratulations. =)

I feel like there must have been a scarf-with-hood pattern on Knitty at some point, but I did a quick search and maybe I'm just imagining things or confusing it with something else.

Heh, one of the reasons that crochet seems so attractive is precisely the fact that it works up faster. I am afflicted with a case of impatience wrt my current knits, it seems. =)

Jennie said...

Wow, congrats on your commission. Can't wait to see what you decide to do. :)

Karen said...

Adrienne - Yeah, I thought Knitty had one too, and I did a search. So, you and I were somehow imagining the same thing! We can be delusional together (haha)

Jennie - Thanks!! I'm definitely gonna post about it when I get to it. First order for her is to find yarn that she likes. Don't know how long that'll take her, but in the meantime I'm going to see if I want to jazz up the hat/scarf with cables or anything like that.

Minerva Turkey said...

Goodness how fun!! You should take a look at the Nomad Hat and Scarf pattern from the Fall 2007 Interweave Knits. Here is a link with the picture...just scroll about half way down.

http://www.interweaveknits.com/preview/2007_fall.asp

Karen said...

Shannon - Ooohhh...thanks for pointing me to that pattern. That's really cute too! I like the fact that the ears get a lot more coverage. Maybe I'll show her that pattern too to see if that's something she'd like.