I wanted to make The Fong so that I could wear it during dance classes instead of having to spend money on dance paws. I still think the idea is a good one, but it's going to need some more tweaking before I get it right. Behold, my failed version of the Fong.
Excuse the very non-pedicured state of my feet.
I basically needed to re-write the pattern because my foot is really narrow, so I pulled out my trusty measuring tape and got cracking. Now, I have to say that there are still some good points to be said about my re-write. It actually fits really well through the ribbed section, and even the thong part of it is pretty good (though next time I think I'll make it a teeny bit shorter). However, I bet everyone can see what my major beef with this is. Yup, it doesn't hug my foot as it approaches the base of the toes. I probably should have realized this would happen (especially since it's cotton) and put in some shaping or something. It's just that when I started working on this, I didn't really want to use my brain at all. After a long day at work, I was looking for some instant knitting gratification. But alas no; it was not to be had tonight.
The more I look at this failed attempt, the more ideas on how to fix things come to mind, so I think I won't frog it, and just use it at a reference for the next attempt. Some ideas that come to mind are to make the thong part a really skinny i-cord instead of a stockinette strap, maybe using more ribbing while making only the sole flat. I think there's going to be a lot more measuring of different parts of my foot in order to get this just the way I want it though.