So, in light of the failed fong, I decided I wanted to knit something that would be a little less work in the thinking department, and would be a quick little knit. Enter Fetching.
Please forgive my wobbly hand. After I took the photo, I noticed that Dany had sneaked her way into the shot too!
I made them out of Berroco Alpaca; the same colourway that Adrienne used for her Bird in Hand mittens. Despite their relative straight-forwardness, I had a few 'huh?' moments, all of them coming when I was knitting my gauge swatch. In order to get the right gauge, I had to knit these on size 2 needles - a far cry from the size 6 ones that the pattern suggests. I was anticipating needing to use size 4's or something like that, but size 2?! The resulting wrist warmers fit me amazingly well though, but it makes me wonder if the gauge is listed correctly. I have unusually small hands, so if the fit is perfect for me, I wonder if they might be too small for other people.
The other thing is that the pattern says that there's just enough yarn to get a pair of wrist-warmers if you take apart the swatch. Since I got a yarn of similar length and weight, and managed to get gauge on the size 2's, I thought I'd be close to finishing the yarn. That wasn't the case at all. In fact, I could probably make one more pair from what I've got left.
I made some small modifications to the pattern too. In order to get more wrist coverage, I knitted two extra cables. I also added a few extra rounds to the thumb and to the straight body section of it. I'm not quite sure if I like the picot bind-off, but the end product doesn't look too bad, so it'll probably grow on me.