Sunday, February 10, 2008

Learning something new

I thought I'd try something new today - I decided to try and learn entrelac. I figured a nice harmless project would be a cute little dishcloth. It's the garterlac dishcloth. I have to say that I really like this technique. It can sometimes be a little awkward at the start:
DSC01422
See? Kinda twisty looking, but it turns out really nicely as you keep going.
DSC01424
It's actually been a nice fun knit.

I'm so close to finishing, but I've run into just one teeny, tiny problem.
DSC01425
That is all the yarn I have left, and I have to finish two triangles. Bleh. I only got one ball of that yarn too. Since it's a dishcloth, it's not such a big deal, but it's going to look really funny when there's a totally different colour in there. Oh well.

All in all, I'm enjoying this knit, and the whole entrelac thing. I'm looking forward to doing it with some pretty, pretty Noro!



6 comments:

Adrienne said...

Noro + entrelac = most awesome.

I imagine there must be a lot of knitting back and forth, do you think it would become fiddly and irritating if you had an enormous thing-of-Noro in your lap? I see all these Lady Eleanor shawls made out of Noro out there and I would love to have one, but I'm not sure if I would want to knit one.

Anonymous said...

It will be a design feature :)

I so want to do some entrelac in Noro. I think maybe I'll start with just a scarf and then hopefully someday do a Lady E! :)

Karen said...

To Adrienne
There is a bit of back and forth; after all, the technique is basically a ton of short row work. I'm not sure how annoying it would be to have a whole long length of it though. I'd imagine that the most annoying part would be the middle stage where it's not long enough to sit in your lap, but too long to be easy to maneuver. Guess I'll find out! I have plans to make an entrelac shawl/throw out of all that Noro I bought.

To Alice
Yes! A design feature! :D What an ingenious way to phrase it!

I think I might start off with Quant to get a handle for Noro + entrelac, and work my way up to something like Lady E.

Karen said...

To Alice, again (because I always hit 'post' a little too early)
Just a thought, but when you're going to try the Lady E, did you want to try a little knit-along or something? I don't actually have the pattern for the Lady E, but I do have something quite similar. (And feel free to say no; I know not everyone digs the knit-along thing)

Knitted Gems said...

Oh, this is a great way to try entrelac. I've always stayed away from entrelac because it looked like it would take forever to knit and I'm slow enough without adding a really difficult technique.
Can't you just bind it off with the rest of yarn you have? It would be a bit wobbly at the end, but, like you said, it's just a washcloth.

Jennie said...

Wow, great work! I'm still a bit intimidated to try entrelac.