Saturday, July 21, 2007

New Goodies

Now that the Canadian dollar is pretty close the US one, I thought it was time for me to get a few goodies that I've had my eye on for a while at KnitPicks.


This rounds out my collection of dpns quite nicely, and since I've never had any good pins to do my lace blocking with, I figured I'd try those ones out to see how they were. They were only $2 for the box, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal.

The real fun is this next little item. Like every good engineer, I love gadgets. Like any pack rat, I keep all the left over yarn from projects that I've finished, even if it's just a little bit. Of course it gets difficult to use up those niggling bits of yarn, right? Well, I got this following object to help me with that.

Yup. It's a yarn measuring device. Now I'll know just how much I have left of that superwash merino that made a great baby sweater, but was a bit more than I needed. I'm probably going to wind up knitting a hat or scarf from all the leftover bits of yarn that I have (I will match them by yarn weight though), so that's bound to be interesting. But hey, at least I'll have used up that leftover yarn!

Lastly, a pictorial update on the Tulip baby sweater that I'm working on.

Body's done; time to add the border and sleeves. So far, this has been a really fun knit.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Fun with yarn gadgets! I've been thinking of getting a little digital scale to help me with project planning, but I never thought of a yarn measuring device. How does it work, exactly?

Your sweater is coming along great, what a wonderful combination of colours. Is there a particular baby that you have in mind for it, or are you just knitting it for pure pleasure? =)

Karen said...

You have to re-wind your yarn for it to work. You thread the yarn through it, and as you wind, the ticker scrolls up and tells you how many feet of yarn you have. I don't work well in yarn mass, and prefer to work with lengths (haha).

The sweater is actually for Ernest Shu's new baby daughter, Claire. She's about a month old now, so there's still lots of time for her to grow into the sweater.

And I just found out this week that two more of my friends are pregnant. Gah!

Elaine said...

Heh heh heh...
All the more reason to use that ball winder and swift!!!!
Hooray for gadgets! :)